15 Surprising Ways To Live More Spiritually
Spirituality can be defined in a wide variety of ways. For many seekers it’s about connecting with something greater than yourself. You might call it God, the universe, or nature. Whatever words you choose to describe it, it’s an experience that gives deeper meaning to your daily routines and ordinary actions.
While searching for something sacred can produce dramatic results, the process can be simple. It doesn’t require extensive therapy or taking a year off work to trek through Tibet.
Try these 15 ways to live more spiritually, starting with where you are now.
The Inward Journey:
1. Accept yourself. Recognize that you are worthy of love and happiness. Embrace your strengths and weaknesses. Give yourself credit for your efforts and learn to enjoy your own company.
2. Develop self-compassion. Examine how you speak to yourself. Choose kind and inspiring words. Forgive yourself for past decisions and move on from the past. Treat yourself extra gently when you’re struggling.
3. Set intentions. Plant powerful intentions in your mind. Identify the things that you want more of in your life and what you want to contribute to the world.
4. Use affirmations. Create empowering statements that strengthen your motivation and boost your energy. Repeat them throughout the day. Ensure your affirmations are positive, specific, and written in the present tense.
5. Create rituals. Spend your first and last moments of the day cultivating your spiritual side. You could pray, meditate, or list the things that you’re grateful for.
6. Think positive. Look on the bright side. Focus on what you like about your coworkers and neighbors.
7. Be mindful. Make conscious choices instead of going through life on autopilot. Notice your habitual reactions and ask yourself if there are more constructive solutions that you could try. You might praise your children instead of nagging them or empathize with your boss instead of arguing with them.
The Outward Journey:
1. Slow down. It’s difficult to appreciate life when you’re rushing around. Stop for a few moments and pay attention to your breath. Focus on one task at a time and discover the joys of being fully present.
2. Limit distractions. Cut down on activities that drain your time and provide little lasting satisfaction. Track how much time you spend watching TV or checking social media.
3. Smile and laugh. Spirituality can be fun! Look for the humor in challenging situations and be willing to laugh at yourself.
4. Practice self-care. Protect your health and wellbeing by eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and sleeping well. Manage stress and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
5. Build a community. Reach out to others with similar spiritual interests and values. If you’re part of an organized faith community, participate actively in events and discussions. If you’re looking for new friends, try going to retreats, author talks, or Meetup groups.
6. Find a teacher. Do you feel like you would benefit from some instruction and guidance? Search online for meditation centers and yoga studios where you can find someone to work with or ask for referrals.
7. Encourage cooperation. Nurture strong and supportive relationships with your family, friends, and coworkers. Work on your communication and listening skills. Be generous with sharing your time and resources.
8. Take risks. A spiritual journey involves challenging your self-imposed limitations and embracing uncertainty. You may sometimes feel uncomfortable as you look more deeply into yourself and question your assumptions, but the rewards are worth it.
Find meaning and purpose by welcoming a greater sense of spirituality into your life. Changing your daily habits can transform the way you see the world and help you to discover more bliss and mental clarity.